Tuesday, October 17, 2006

So I decided that Blogger is just one more way to procrastinate your homework... Sigh... I'm such a nerd.

JUDITH



So where should I start? In Spring of 2001 I wanted to raise another puppy- my family was deciding if they were going to move to So. Dakota (yeah none of you guys live in SD so pretty much I'm REALLY glad we didn't move there!!) so when we found out Vinnie was leaving us I asked if I could get a puppy right away- Mom said no because either a) we were moving or b) she wanted a break after the "monster" Vinnie ;) Well, we didn't move to SD but she did tell me we had to take a break... sigh... So I had to wait until August and maybe I could get a Golden Retriever. On July 13th (Friday the 13th- one of the best days!) I was scheduled for a puppy but my mom said no- a FBL "J" puppy. I went to SLC to go watch my friend pick up her "H" puppy... Sigh--- I guess I'd have to live on borrowed puppy breath for a month. When we showed up Traci got her "H" puppy-- Hoka- a FYL. And after my leader asked if there was anything else for Davis county they mentioned that they had one more puppy-- did anyone want it? They brought off the cutest FBL puppy off the truck! Her name was Judith! "Is it mine?" I remember asking... Then they handed my sweet Judith to me :) Born May 7, 2001 to Rashad and Eclipse with siblings (are you ready? i think...) Jewel, Jira, Joiner, Jeb, Judge, Julianna, and Judith. (I thin kthat's all of them!


Judith and Hoka- I have this picture on my Credit card... isn't it so cute?!



My Judi was a perfect lady from day one... she was always one to sit nicely, even at 8 weeks everyone was amazed at how good she was. I always told people that I didn't raise her- she raised herself :) By the time she went back on October 1st 2002- she was BORED to death. She went back and was on breeder watch until phase SEVEN!!! Normally they are pulled for breeding or spayed by phase 3 or 4... Soo FINALLY she was pulled for breeding and was sent from OR to CA for her final breeder eval- her sister Jewel had just been confirmed as a breeder. We were pretty sure she was going to be a breeder. She was in CA for 2 months when we finally just called and they told us she had a slight heart murmer and, although she couldn't be a breeder- she would make a great Guide Dog. :) So after lots of tears we continued to watch her go through the phases of training. She graduated on July 23, 2003 with Ruth and is perfect for her. There is a story to why Judith took a while to graduate that I didn't hear until after graduation. So while I was sitting at home dying becuase she didn't go into class with her string (almost 3 months late!!) this was going on: Okay... lets see if I can get this straight--- Ruth had her previous guide only for a few months and was having problems with thin foot pads. She was deciding if she wanted to retired her and get another guide. Keith (one of the class supervisors in OR) told her he had a perfect dog for her- but he wanted to traing her for Ruth- so even though she was ready for class- she had to wait until Keith was set to go into class- July. Keith trained her previous guides so it was kind of fitting that he trained Judith. Well the match was perfect and they've been working together for over 3 years now! Wow... it doesn't seem like that long... I got to visit them at Fun Day in 2005 and she totally remembered me! She got all excited- after she noticed I was there- and barked in the hotel!!! If I wasn't so excited to see her- I would have been embarassed- but everyone was saying "She raised that puppy and they haven't seen each other for 2 years!" Awww... Makes me want to cry just thinking about it! I wish I had a camera when I saw her... here's her at the hotel in 2005... going a little gray. I'm so excited because for spring break I'm planning on visiting her at her home in OR!!




2 comments:

thepuppyraiser said...

what a neat story :)

yeah...we're all kinda procrastinating nerds...thanks for the long post :P

south dakota lol nat!!! hahaha!

Anonymous said...

don't worry, i just used blogger to procrastinate myself ;) let's make a facebook group- "puppy raisers who facebook and blog to ward off homework"!!

anyways...that's a cool story about judith! it's so exciting you get to visit her...you definitely have to blog about that!! =D

thanks for linking me =)

Nat, petes and fielder

amber- ahahaha i know you love it there in sd ;)